The diagnostic medical sonography (DMS) program curriculum includes a strong science foundation with courses specific to the practice of diagnostic medical sonography. The degree requirements include successful completion of 126 credit hours of course work.
- A complete listing of courses and course descriptions required for the degree can be found in the catalog.
- Students are encouraged to follow a specific curriculum plan to ensure progressive learning throughout the degree. Specific courses are required to be completed in sequential order to enhance the student's learning and success within the program. A complete listing of course requirements for the DMS program can be reviewed by selecting the following link:
The DMS course experience is geared to preparing the student's knowledge base to perform sonographic examinations as an entry-level sonographer. Students enrolled in DMS courses will experience a variety of learning opportunities through coursework and clinical experience.Students are required to complete six trimesters of didactic and clinical coursework:
- Small group learning, instructor-led learning, Power Point demonstrations, creating models, and hands-on experience with sonography equipment and simulators.
- Classroom teaching is typically scheduled for two days a week.
- Hands-on laboratory activities two days a week for five trimesters and one day per week in their final trimester.
- Clinical experience requires the student to be in an assigned medical setting 16 to 32 hours per week.
- Students are responsible for transportation to clinical experience assignments.
- Clinical experience includes performing cardiac, abdomen, obstetric, gynecologic, pediatric, vascular, and general sonographic examinations.
- Clinical experiences exist in a variety of hospitals and private practice facilities, including many Baptist Memorial Health Care locations.
Students successfully completing all degree requirements will receive a bachelor of health sciences (BHS) with a major in diagnostic medical sonography. Upon successful completion of degree requirements, students can become candidates to receive credentials as RDMS, RDCS, and RVT as given by the ARDMS. Credentials are awarded upon successful completion of the sonography principles and instrumentation examination and successful completion of applicable specialty examinations:
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vascular Technology
- Adult Echocardiography