Complaints or Concerns

Baptist Health Sciences University strives to provide educational programs and services of the highest caliber. Feedback from students is often sought to identify areas for improvement. Students are encouraged to share concerns or complaints as part of our commitment to continuous improvement. As such, Baptist University provides a structured process for students to share areas of concern or complaints. If a student is unsure of whom to direct a concern or complaint, he or she is encouraged to contact the Dean of Student Services at 901-572-2662 for further assistance.

The information below provides additional guidance and available resources:

Complaints or Concerns from Students Policy


Students have an opportunity to express complaints or concerns in a structured manner to the appropriate University official.

Written complaints from students will be reviewed and appropriate follow-up provided.  The University encourages students to share their concerns and will treat, to the extent allowed by applicable local, state or federal laws, such information as confidential.  University officials reserve the right to share the information if they believe keeping such information confidential has the potential for harm to a student, others at the University, or the community. Anonymous complaints may be investigated based upon the seriousness of the concern expressed and the availability of follow-up information. A record of complaints will be maintained by the appropriate individual, as noted below.

If the student believes he or she is a victim of discrimination, harassment or retaliation, the student should contact the Vice President of Administrative Services as outlined in the Non-Discrimination Policy – Students, or file a complaint using the University’s grievance procedures under Alleged Discrimination Grievance—Complaint Policy—Students found in the section of the Student Handbook titled “Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines.”

Students should forward complaints or concerns in writing to the following individuals who will review and provide appropriate follow-up:  

Financial Aid – Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs

Campus Housing – Director of Student Services and Housing

Academic – appropriate Academic Dean

Other matters – triaged by the Dean of Student Services for further action.

Depending on the nature of the complaint, students who are not satisfied with an outcome may forward their complaint to one of the following outside agencies:

  • Complaints relating to quality of education or accreditation requirements shall be referred to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). (
  • Complaints related to the application of state laws related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (i.e. State Boards of Health, State Board of Education, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board (, and then search for appropriate division).
  • For students attending programs in Tennessee, complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that Unit (
  • Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA.
    • Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.
    • Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (
    • For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards ( have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.
    • For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website ( Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.


God's Blessings

 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
  And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
  and to walk humbly[a] with your God

Micah 6:8